Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Choices

I got hooked up with my new-found site, Family Friend Poems, where I can showcase my hidden desire to write poems.

I cannot resist sharing with you a poem of a 17-year old girl which hit me straight in my heart. It goes this way...

I am

Let me make a few things absolutely, perfectly, crystal clear.
I am not a writer.
I am not a poet.
I am not a singer.
I am not a musician.
I am not a sister.
I am not a daughter.
I am not a friend.
I am not an outsider.
I am not a stranger.
I am not a reader.
I am not a sinner.
I am not a teacher.
I am not a student.

I am not all of these things either collectively, or separately.
But what I am, what I know for sure I am, is alive
I am human, and I am alive.
I am wrong at times
I am failure itself
I am determination itself
I am the apple that fell from the tree
I am the drop that fell from the cloud
I am the thought you let slip away.
I am human, and I am alive.
I am everything I need to be, but not everything I want

I am a woman.
I am a girl.
And I am, and will be, whatever I choose.


This poem made me think back of the choices I made with my life and why I made those choices ... Why did I choose to be a wife? Why did I choose to be a mother? Why did I choose to quit my job and be a full-time mom? Why? Because I am human and a woman who choose to be alive. And all these choices keeps me alive! With God's grace, I'm alive! And happy!

I thank the author of this poem, Nicole, for lending me her poem. For making me understand that I made the right choice - "I am everything I need to be, but not everything I want"!

God bless our choices.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...