Monday, January 21, 2013

Moonfish or "Hiwas"

We were introduced with this fish by my mother when we were so much younger. Although we love its taste, it is seldom served in our family.


I tried introducing this to my kids who love eating fish instead of of beef or pork. I'm so glad they liked its taste as well.


I only know of three ways on how to served this fish: fried, paksiw (with vinegar sauce), and pinangat. But I know there's a lot way of cooking it.

Aside from bangus (milkfish), cream dory fillet and tilapia, hiwas now is on their favorite fish list.

Hiwas, I learned, is a rich source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, phosphorus, and selenium. It is also low in sodium and a source of omega-3.
(reference: hawaii seafood)

(Thanks to Panlasang Pinoy and My Filipino Recipe for my recipe source.)



BLOG PHOTO CHALLENGE (#15/365)
The Clever Chick Blog Hop





 photo yb91422_zps80b0cef3.png

1 comment:

  1. This is my late father's favorite fish! The funny part is, I totally forgot how we call this in Visayan! :D

    Thanks for linking this to BPC! Doing my late hops here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...